Location: Thunder Bay, Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada
Are you looking for a change? Do you want to work in a fast paced productive environment that rewards hard work and creativity? Then we want you!
With over 25 years of experience in the remote camp business we are a leader in remote camp catering. We understand that superior food service is essential to our success and that it starts with motivated and well trained staff. Come and join our team! Well over 50% of our applicants have been referred by existing employees who recommended Outland Camps to their friends and colleagues.
Outland is always looking for General Helpers to Red Seal individuals. Apply today!
The Corporate Chef is a highly valued, primary representative for Outland. The Corporate Chef will work with Regional Directors, District Managers and the Operations Support Coordinator to deliver the best possible quality and value of catering services to our clients.
The Corporate Chef, acting in a managerial role, will be responsible for the recruitment, hiring, training, placement, evaluation and ongoing professional development of culinary talent to support the Workplace Accommodation and Forestry internal and external catering operations. The Corporate Chef will support the Sales Team through development of sample menus, review of project scope and equipment requirements and creation of promotional materials. They will also foster client relationships by delivering operational excellence to meeting client and customer needs. The Corporate Chef is responsible for the overall organization of the catering operation, including, but not limited to, national menu planning and nutritional information management, employee relations, training, scheduling, performance management, administration, supply procurement/cost control, sanitation, hygiene, and safety.
Things You Are Great At:
Revenue and Profitable Leadership
- Provides continuing and consistent guidance, leadership and support
- Works toward ensuring Outland and Dexterra are viewed as a value-added services providers
- Understands project staff and food budgets and manages the operation within the budget
- looks for ways to add value for the client as well as expand the scope of work with the client
- Review and provide comment on weekly project budgets and monthly project financial performance
- Ensures a visible Account-level presence to foster a professional, positive relationship with the Client
- Working with the District Manager, holds regular client expectations meetings and ensures compliance with contract specifications
- Ability to communicate performance expectations, monitor and reward performance to ensure plans, goals and budgets are met
- Develops and facilitates developmental experiences for effective job performance
- Ensures our team members live our Values in the delivery of high-quality services
- Acts as a Talent Scout using networks to help identify, recruit and vet proposed team members
- Provides immediate performance recognition and feedback and as per Performance Discussion Cycle
- Recruits, trains, develops, and supports team members
- Lead the development of an employee recognition system for our hourly workers in catering operations.
Operational Planning and Management
- Responsible for planning, costing and promoting the menus for all divisional operations
- Plans and oversees kitchen activities to ensure strength of operation
- Assess workloads, matching existing personnel resource needs to operational demands
- Coaches and prepares team members for job requirements and operational excellence
- As required by the company and/or Performance Delivery Review Cycle, conduct timely performance development feedback/direction regarding performance
Safety and Quality Assurance
- Supports the updating of Dexterra/Outland Health and Safety Policies and Procedures for Catering Operations.
- Enforces safe and hygienic operating practices and procedures in every operation at all times.
- Has strong working knowledge of HAACP and enforces HAACP principles in all operations.
- Monitors and communicates product recalls to all operations as required.
- Conducts and reports regular workplace and food safety inspections and coaches teams on required improvements and follow-up.
- Participates in daily tailboard and safety meeting whenever at site.
- Is familiar with Dexterra/Outland safety protocol and can provide site level direction when required.
Competencies for Success:
- Impact and influence
- Time management – team and individually
- Leadership capability and presence
- Results orientation/operational excellence
- Holding self and others accountable
- Ensures everyone has a voice
- Attention to detail
- Uses information technology effectively
- Professionally inserts oneself to gain insight to Client values and retention considerations
- Minimum 10 years experience in a Chef or Sous Chef role with experience in inventory management, food cost control, management and marketing.
- Bilingual (French and English)
- Journeyman Red Seal and First Aid certification.
- Valid Drivers License an asset.
- Travel is a requirement of this job.
- Able to obtain security clearance.
- Aware of technical elements needed to deliver services support.
- Attracts, develops and retains employees, provided a safe, supportive work environment, supporting People strategies.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Strong attention to detail with the ability to manage multiple priorities in a fast paced and deadline driven environment.
As an employer of choice, we treat all our employees consistently and fairly to help you achieve personal and professional ambitions.
We strive to meet the accommodation needs of persons with disabilities. Applicants are encouraged to make their needs for accommodation known in advance during the application process.
Please fill out the following application in full to be considered for this position. You will be prompted to upload your resume so please have it ready when you apply. We thank all applicants in advance for applying however due to the high volume of interest in working with Outland Camps only those being considered for employment will be contacted.We thank all applicants for considering a career with us; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.