Health and Safety Advisor- Division Lead
Location: Thunder Bay, ON
Dexterra, is a dedicated, integrated services company that provides quality integrated facilities management, workforce accommodations and forestry services for our clients across Canada in the natural resources, aviation, defence, retail, commercial and healthcare sectors.
At Dexterra, we create exceptional customer experiences that make our clients shine. Powered by passionate people, we bring the right teams with the right skills together to turn problems into solutions and challenges into moments of ingenuity.
Because, service matters!
Working out of our Thunder Bay regional office and reporting to the Vice President of Health and Safety, the Health and Safety Advisor is a member of the remote workforce accommodation and forestry division’s senior leadership team. The Health and Safety Advisor acts as a strategic partner and internal subject matter expert to ensure health, safety, and food safety strategies align to the goals and objectives of the division and company. The Health & Safety Advisor will also be responsible to lead, support and contribute to the Company’s health, safety and food safety management system(s).
Responsible for providing value-added health and safety business consulting and customer service, this role drives and leads organizational initiatives to enhance health and safety management. The role also contributes to the overall health and safety strategy by collaborating with the safety and workers compensation team members to ensure alignment, effective management and delivery of Dexterra health, safety and food safety (HSF) policies and procedures.
Things You Are Great At:
- Leading the development of HSF management systems, policies and procedures. Understand management systems, policies and procedures in the broader context of the business.
- Innovative in developing and implementing strategies and adapting to changing business environments.
HSEF risk management
- Using technical, human factors and other theoretical knowledge, to research, review and interpret information on hazards to identify causation, consequences, possible risk controls, including critical controls
- Developing processes to identify risk factors and to analyze and prioritize HSF risk to the business
- Ensuring processes are in place to empower employees to stop work considered an immediate threat to health, safety or the environment
- Supporting key influencers, including management, on strategies to foster an organizational culture that prioritizes HSF.
- Supporting and motivating management and supervision to provide HSF leadership and to give appropriate priority to HSF in relation to other business objectives.
- Advising managers on appropriate leadership practices to achieve an organizational culture that is focused on HSF
HSF measurement and evaluation
- Monitoring HSF performance of the division and overall company, recommending appropriate preventative measures.
- Monitoring, evaluating and reporting on the effectiveness of risk management and HSF management processes at operational levels.
- Supporting periodic management reviews to systematically assess, monitor and identify areas for improvement in the HSF management system and culture
Training and Development
- Designing and delivering training and effectively using a range of HSF tools and processes to implement HSF programs and drive compliance
- Working with external training providers and supporting operations with their external HSF training requirements
Communication, Engagement, Influence
- Engaging, influencing and mentoring internal and external stakeholders as a functional expert
- Developing relationships with the senior management team and operational managers and HSF regulatory agencies.
- Promoting and building Dexterra’s credibility with industry bodies and regulatory agencies
- Potentially speaking at events, or participating on external committees
- Engaging with clients HSF professionals
- Critical Thinker and Analytic
- Business Acumen
- Emotional Intelligence
- Project Management
- Independent and Organized
- Ethical behaviour and professionalism
- Desire to Make an Impact
- Highly Responsive, Flexible and Agile
- Problem solving
- Effective Communicator (oral and written), excellent presenter and facilitator
- Undergraduate Degree in Health & Safety, Science, Public Health or equivalent and CRSP, CRST, CHSC Designation or international equivalent
- Bilingual– French/ English is an asset
- Experience working in Natural Resources Industry is an asset
- 3-5 years experience in a safety management or consulting position
- Thorough working knowledge of HSF systems through significant job experience & training, food safety experience is an asset
- Working knowledge of Canadian HSF and WCB legislation
- Ability to support others by demonstrating empathy, open-mindedness and respect
- Experience in unionized and non-unionized environments
- Intermediate level expertise with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook)
- Ability to travel by car and air, this role includes travel to remote locations
- Note: It is preferred that the candidate works out of our Thunder Bay office, Edmonton, AB and Amos, QC are possible other office locations.
As an employer of choice, we treat all our employees consistently and fairly to help you achieve personal and professional ambitions.
Dexterra is committed to an inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes. Please advise Human Resources if you require accommodation in these processes.
We thank all applicants for considering a career with Dexterra!