The Forensic Services and Coroner’s Complex (FSCC) is one of the most advanced forensic building in North America. It houses the Office of the Chief Coroner (OCC), Office of the Fire Marshal and Emergency Management (OFMEM), Ontario Forensic Pathologies Services (OFPS) and the Center of Forensic Science (CFS). To support the OCC, the facility includes autopsy suites, including Canada’s first Containment Level 3 autopsy suite, and body preparation/storage facilities, a morgue, mass casualty areas and two Coroner’s Courts.
At FSCC, Dexterra is responsible for providing Integrated Facilities Management (IFM) Services. Our team maintains and provides Life Cycle services to all the systems and sub-systems that support the function of the various operations of the FSCC.
The ‘soft’ facilities management and operations services provided include the following:
- Security and Surveillance Services
- Roads and ground maintenance
- Waste management and recycling
- Pest control
- Material service
- Help Desk Services
- Environmental and Sustainability services
- Emergency management
- Third-party space management
- Food services
The ‘hard’ facilities management services include the following:
- Mechanical an electrical systems maintenance to include:
- Electrical switchboards, transformers, and building systems
- Chilled water systems (3,000 tons), hot water and high-pressure steam systems
- Ventilation systems
- Compressed air and specialized gas systems
- Plumbing systems, including domestic water purification and recycling systems
- Fire alarm systems
- Elevator services
- Building fabric maintenance
- Lifecycle refurbishment and replacement
- Utilities management, including energy performance monitoring and carbon footprint management
- Laboratory and process equipment maintenance
- CL-III operation and maintenance, including filtration, pressurization and exhaust systems
- Life safety operation and maintenance with 9,000 + intelligent field devices
- Data Center Clean Agent Suppression system operation and maintenance
- Evidence and body preservation freezers and fridges operation and maintenance
- Critical monitoring of pressurization, temperature, and humidity in the laboratory
- Small works and variations, i.e. Project Management, Construction and purchasing of equipment as part of SOLGEN (Ministry of the Solicitor General) generated projects
- Parking management and maintenance
At a high level, the challenges faced at FSCC include the following:
- Ensuring that our maintenance policies and procedures support the continued accreditation of the FSCC by the American Society of Crime Laboratory Directors Laboratory Accreditation Board (ASCLD/ LAB.) This includes but is not limited to ensuring that all contingency plans are current and that plans demonstrate continued support to the ministry functions. In addition to the contingency plans, Dexterra’s PPM records have to include calibration of sensitive forensics equipment and maintenance of critical pressurized spaces. Our general policies and procedures have to be probed to ensure that it properly supports the functions of the FSCC.
- Ensuring that all maintenance policies and procedures, including Energy Management, are aligned with good sustainability practices per LEED , BOMA and other industry recognized requirements. Our policies cover Water Management, Energy Management, Air Quality Management, Comfort Management, Health and Wellness, Purchasing, Custodial Management, Waste Management, Stakeholder Engagement and general Site Management. These policies cover the industry requirements to demonstrate site level sustainability alignment.
- Ensuring that all performance reports are completed and submitted per the requirements of the PPP Service Agreement.
- Ensuring that all security related activities are aligned with our Security Policies and Procedures and that all access control and surveillance systems are online to preserve the integrity of the evidence stored on site. Security and Surveillance PPMs and policy documents are audited as part of the lab accreditation process.
The Dexterra team continues to provide a consistent and steady performance throughout the term of the contract at FSCC:
- Circa 1,000 Tenant Requests are received annually. The Response/ Rectification times per the SLA stand at a 98% compliance rate and $0 in Service Failure Penalties.
- Circa 2,300 PPMs are issued to the Maintenance Technicians annually.
- Rigorous PPM and LCR programs to that equipment failure is mitigated.
Through Dexterra’s commitment to Sustainability, the FSCC was recognized for the following:
- Earth Award and Toby Award winner (2020)
- BOMA Best Platinum certified facility
- LEED Gold certified facility- Construction
- 3R certified facility – Waste Management